Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wow, it's been awhile...

So this is going to be a big update with lots and lots of pictures.

We had some setbacks with me being in classes, M/D being busy, and then of course the funeral and everything that came along with that. However, last weekend and this weekend, M/D were able to take off some days of work and come stay in Manhattan for 3-4 days at a time and get a LOT of work done. Since I last updated, we re-sanded the floors with a more powerful sander that worked MUCH better than the first one. Mom is now putting the finishing touches on sanding by going over everything with a really fine grit to get it all smooth.

See how much fun she is having with her big fun tools?

I'm not actually doing a thing in this picture. But M is sweeping the kitchen (note that the vinyl flooring is torn out and the built-in desk-thingie-weird-green-bulletin-board area is gone too!)
We even set some of Mike's brothers to work when they were here for the 4th of July.
One major project we have done --- the bathroom is all ripped out and everything new to go in is bought!

Tearing out the tub...

No more tub!

Bathroom without anything in it. It needs to be re-sheetrocked at the bottom with water/mold proof sheet rock. Actually, some of that is done as I write this!The toilet found a new home on the front porch. Lovely.

New tub!!!! Complete with whirlpool jets :)
I had to test to see if the tub "fit" me. It did!
New bathroom cabinets being loaded out of Dad's new truck into the house. At night.
New bathroom cabinet (un-stained) and countertop (un-cut)
Among other things, we also did a lot of work on the kitchen. We decided to get a new sink/faucet for the kitchen. Mike took the old sink out......and sawed out the old cabinet where the new dishwasher will go...
Today, I primed the floors in the kitchen and hallway in preparation for the vinyl tiles to be put down.
And I got to pry off all the old trim around the windows since I guess we decided to put new casings on as well as new baseboard. Hooray.
Tonight we had a lot of "decisions" to make - especially regarding the bathroom arrangements. But I think we came to a consensus. I'll let you see it when I have a decent "after" picture to show how everything is arranged. I think we decided to install a Star Trek-esque door that whooshes upwards when you step into it so we can avoid a problem with a doorknob blocking a drawer handle. Very reasonable solution, I think.

(this is D and I making decisions.)We have also....
-Purchased all new appliances that will be delivered and installed the week before we move in
-Purchased a bathroom light fixture as well as sink/faucet/bath fixtures and other things to match
-Mostly patched the walls to be painted, but they still need some drywall mud putty stuff
-Made about 2394802349082304 trips to Home Deopt
-Endlessly debated over a floor stain/cabinet stain color. Mike and I have opposing views, apparently.

ANNND:

-Found a snake staring at us as we walked in and out the back door --- he was slithered up ON TOP OF the door frame to the back door. As we walked in and out of it. And we think he was a copperhead. Mom threw things at him, I whimpered in the distance, the snake hissed and showed his fangs. He disappeared after awhile, so now he's waiting for us somewhere, ready to pounce when he so desires.

And probably more that I forgot about because my brain is fried due to too much renovating.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Ack, a copperhead? I think I'd find him and dispose of him before I did anything else. That being said, it looks like you guys are kicking ass. I know it's hard to schedule such things since time is so hard to come by, but when are you planning on moving in?